"..NO PURPOSE OF YOURS CAN BE THWARTED. JOB 42:2

Saturday, October 9, 2010

A Living Sacrifice

Well, I guess i almost blew the whole year out as far as blogging goes. Such is the outcome of a blue collar worker bee. Freedom to write as I wish would be amazing. I confess I spent alot of my free time debating people on facebook. A recent fellowship with brothers from The Well at our Men's Retreat brought home the necesssity for an order of priority in my life, with special regards to the lack of propositional thinking in our society at large, as well as in our own minds. Is it as important to throw out a few "blubs" about truth vs. opinion in light of the lack of deep, drawn out, philosophical processing that exists all around us. I am of course, meaning philosophy that is governed by sound theology. All this is must be weighed out over against God's absolute, sustaining rule. He is King, we are not.
That being said, allow me to change the tone a little. Tomorrow is Sunday and I am going out for a one day deer hunt with my brother. I have been praying about it all this week and decided to skip church. This is not the norm for me, and there is a void that always persists when I miss fellowship with brothers of like mind and the consecration of time to God. I have not been hunting with my brother for many years. He is avid about securing a good kill of elk and/or deer with one of his many selections of firearms, which he promptly sets about endeavoring himself with at the very whiff of hunting season each year. I enjoy shooting and love guns. I also enjoy hunting, but lets just say I have busied myself with other things over the years.
At any rate, I have decided to make a go of it on a day that coincides with corporate worship. This troubles me, but I also find that I am motivated to make it a sacrifice to God. I have spent all of today worshipping and reading the Word. Tomorrow I will rise very early and spend time aknowledging God's presence, communing with Him, and asking for His favor in the hunt. The meat that could be provided from a deer would be a great blessing for my wife and I. The time spent with my brother will be much needed, as well as opportunity to speak of the glories of Christ within the context of our brotherhood that has been so strained by chaos, strife, and loss. Hard heartedness abounds, I not the least of these, and my hope and prayer is for God to bring His sons to glory.
This particular blog is cutting into my preparedness time, for I am to leave in an hour, and I fear I am rushed through my thoughts. My creator is sovereign and His grace to allow me these words is sufficient. I will take my wife with me and she will spend the time with my brother's wife as they attend another church. What does it mean to exhort one another to greatness in God? Do we know what it means to embrace His righteousness and shun our own? Oh the precious longsuffering of an Almighty God who makes every provision for us to walk in His way. My heart pours out in thankfulness for His amazing grace that He has freely given me in my wife especially and in my family. My prayer is that He changes my will to love Him through His gifts and be a blessing to Him as He has been a blessing to me...even crowning only His own gifts, for surely nothing good lives in me...oh, but His righteousness does sustain!

No comments:

Post a Comment